Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Sloppy Joes & Tuscan Potato Salad

Yeah, so I've been a blogging slacker, but here's a little ditty for Vegan Month of Food Trois....

I made one of my favorites last night: Vegan Sloppy Joes and Tuscan Potato Salad. The sloppy joe recipe is my rendition of one that I got a year or two ago when I was receiving menus and recipes from Saving Dinner. I think the tanginess of the potato salad works well with the sweetness of the sloppy joes.

Sloppy Joes

Ingredients:

12 oz. fake meat crumbles
1 tsp. olive oil
2/3 vidalia onion, choppped
2 medium stalks celery, chopped
2 tbsp. garlic (I like to buy the pre-minced kind that comes in a little jar)
1 1/2 cups organic ketchup
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 1/2 tbsp yellow mustard

Directions:

Brown the crumbles, onion, celery, and garlic in the olive oil for about 3 minutes or until the crumbles are defrosted. Meanwhile, mix the remaining ingredients. Add the sauce to the veggie mixture and simmer for about 10 minutes or until you personally feel that it's good to go. Serve on your favorite hamburger rolls. Makes 6 servings.


Tuscan Potato Salad

Ingredients:

4 medium russet potatoes
1/4 cup Vegannaise or Nayonnaise
1/4 cup Tuscan style Italian salad dressing
1/3 cup sweet onion, finely chopped
2 tbsp dijon mustard
2 tbsp pickle relish
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1 tsp Rosemary leaves, crushed

Directions:

Cut the potatoes up into bite size chunks. In a large pot, cover the potatoes with water and boil for about 20 minutes or until done. Meanwhile, prepare the dressing, mixing together all remaining ingredients. You can also throw some celery into this puppy too if you so choose. Chill (yeah, daddy!)and serve. Makes 6 servings.

Meanwhile, I'm still between digital cameras and trying to figure out how to post pictures that I email to myself from my phone, so please bear with me! :)

1 comment: