Saturday, November 7, 2009

An Attempt

After weeks, perhaps months, of putting it off, I made my first batch of scrambled tofu today. Sigh. I was disappointed. I admit I'm not a big tofu fan, but after reading about Isa Chandra Moskowitz's (my vegan hero, btw) Scrambled Tofu in her books and on her blog, I just knew this was going to be a life saver. Alas...no. It's a no-go for me. I used her basic recipe and added sauteed onions. In addition to not being a big tofu eater, I also just wasn't feeling the curry-esque flavour palate.

I'm going to look for some other flavour combinations, however, and see what I can come up with, as I'm not totally ready to give up on scrambled tofu quite yet.

Meanwhile, I made a lovely accompaniment of oven home fries. I am the QUEEN of oven fries and simply adapted my recipe by adding some chopped onion and cutting the little potato guys into smaller chunks. While they tasted just fine, I wasn't really feeling them either.

Sadly, the past few months my breakfast appetite has depleted, so perhaps that was the biggest culprit in my disappointment in the whole meal.

For lunch today: Vegan Burritos...my own recipe. Stay tuned! Meanwhile, here's my quick oven-fry throw-together:

Oven Fries a la Deedee

Ingredients:

2-4 small to medium russett potatoes
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp cajun seasoning

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Combine the oil and seasonings in a large bowl. Cut the potatoes into french fry sized strips. Toss potatoes in the oil mixture. Spread on a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes. Turn potatoes and bake for another 5 - 15 minutes, depending on desired crunchiness.

To turn these puppies into breakfast home fries, simply chop the potatoes into bite-sized pieces and throw in a quarter of a large chopped onion. Baking time stays the same, depending on preference.

4 comments:

  1. Tofu scramble is definitely personal. For the most part I don't like a bunch of spices. Are you making sure to squeeze the excess water out? That was my hugest problem when I first started making it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not do that! Thanks for the tip. :) I'll have to try it again with less spices, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In addition to Mo's suggestion, try adding more random diced veggies. I usually add carrots and green peppers to mine. Plus, I like to pan fry a few tater tots separately, smash them up really well, and then add them into the tofu scramble. You might also try cooking the whole mess longer. Back in my omni days, I never liked scrambled eggs unless they were very well cooked, and I like my scrambled tofu the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just tried a scrambled tofu for the first time, and had the same experience! tasted too much like the bad kind of falafel spices...the ones that remind me of sweaty men. i'll have to try it without all the spices...see if i have a better time with it.

    ReplyDelete