Sunday, November 29, 2009

Toll House Pie...for Vegans

Since I was about 13 (approximately 21 years), it has been a tradition that I make Toll House Pie on Thanksgiving. Almost no one ever touches it, except me, but I make it annually anyway. This year, I decided to veganize it. It was quite an adventure, as the extra shortening I put in to replace the eggs ended up dripping over the sides of the pie pan and eventually led to literally setting my oven ON FIRE.

However, the end result tasted exactly the same as the dairy variety. It might have been a little crisper, though, which I actually preferred, because it had a more cookie like texture

Okay, so this is not going to technically be Toll House Pie, since it doesn't use Toll House chocolate, but this is my rendition. ***Be sure to bake on a cookie sheet so you don't set your oven on fire too.

Faux House Pie

Ingredients

1 unbaked 9-inch (4-cup volume) deep-dish pie shell - make your own or buy your fave

For binding mixture:
4 tbsp flour
1 tbsp non-hydrogenated vegetable shortening
1 tsp baking powder
4 tsp water

To complete filling:
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup margarine, melted
1 cup (6 oz.) vegan chocolate chips
1 cup chopped nuts (I like walnuts in mine, but pecans or something else of that ilk work just as well)

Directions
Preheat oven to 325° F.

Mix 4 tbsp flour, water, shortening, and baking soda in a small bowl

Combine 1/2 cup flour, sugars, and margarine in a separate bowl. Add binding mixture and blend with a hand blender until smooth. Stir in chocolate and nuts. Pour mixture into pie crust.

Bake for 55 to 60 minutes or until knife inserted halfway between edge and center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment